Day 1 to 5 of my 7-day fast


Step one in my plan to recovery was a simple ketogenic diet to make sure that I was in fairly deep ketosis before starting step 2. That brings us to this post, which will cover the second step – my 7-day fast. You can find the first part in the series by clicking here.

All previous and future posts will be available in this category:


Sunday, April 15: preparation and start

My typical Keto-Chicken Salad

Today I had my last meal at 12 pm. Considering gastric emptying and digestion time of about 6 hours, my fast officially started at about 6 pm.
The meal was pretty light in order to speed up digestion time. It consisted of some vegetables, cod, and some runny eggs – and of course a lot of sodium. While sodium and other electrolytes are extremely important for your health, they’re even more important when you start a fast or a ketogenic diet, since they get flushed out with all the water weight you initially lose.
In the evening I had a little sodium, magnesium, and potassium. Water intake at pretty much normal levels of 4 liters a day (1 US gallon).


Monday, April 16: first day – a total shambles, or was it?

Woke up at about 4 am with a headache, a slight fever, and 30 minutes later I was vomiting all over the place. Yeah, stomach flu – what a perfect start on my 7-day fast. In essence, this means that my fast will begin with an unintended dry fast – since I can’t hold any liquid at all.

I spent most of the day either in bed or in the bathroom. I did manage to listen to some Alpha (8-12 Hz) sound waves and some other relaxing meditation music while doing some red-light therapy. This helped with the headache and got me some short powernaps. And although I was feeling terrible from the flu, I was at least fasting. In other words, not all of the time spent in bed was a waste.


Tuesday, April 17: second day – the light at the end of the tunnel

Still down with the stomach flu. Same as yesterday. It was not until in the late evening that I could get a little bit of water and sodium (sea salt) in me without it coming straight out again. And once I got some fluids in me, and especially some sodium and other electrolytes (in tiny amounts), I recovered quickly and felt pretty good once it was time to hit the bed – even the fever was gone.
This means that I was actually dry fasting, (and unfortunately losing some additional fluids through vomiting), for 44 hours. Well, that’s one way to “kick-start” your fast…


Wednesday, April 18: third day – rehydrate, regroup, charge forward!

Sodium in the form of mineral rich sea salt.

Due to the stomach flu, my focus today was solely on rehydration. Not as much in drinking tons of water, but as in getting a lot of electrolytes – divided into small doses throughout the day. All-in-all about 10 grams of sodium, 1 grams of magnesium orotate, 1 gram of calcium citrate malate (did not have orotate), and 6000 mg potassium citrate.

I felt good today. A bit light headed at times when suddenly moving around, but that’s to be expected after 2 days of stomach flu and great losses of electrolytes. I did also feel some “emotional” resistance towards doing any physical activity, which is also to be expected. Mental clarity and mental energy somewhat elevated. Not as much as on my previous fasts at day 3, but still noticeable – and compared to the last year of my nano/Morgellons “disease”, my mental clarity and mental energy was slightly higher than it’s ever been.

To speed up the detoxification process, I also enjoyed a nice foot bath in the evening. To really pull out all the crap, I have several formulas that work wonders. Just make sure that you have a bucket that let you sink your feet and ankles in to cover them all the way up to your calf muscles. Make sure it’s hot and soak for 20 to 30 minutes.

  • Foot bath variant 1: distilled water, 1.5 dl (0.6 cup) of sea salt, and 2 dl (0.8 cup) of white vinegar.
  • Foot bath variant 2: distilled water, 1.5 dl (0.6 cup) of sea salt, and 1 dl (0.4 cup) of pure baking soda (bicarbonate).
  • Foot bath variant 3: distilled water, 1 dl (0.4 cup) of sea salt, 1 dl (0.4 cup) of citric acid, and if available, 2 capsules of DMSO.


If you have discoloring of the skin, edema/swelling, bad circulation or any other noticeable condition around your feet and ankles, just try it. You’ll notice changes after the first bath. Take before and after photos and be amazed.


Thursday, April 19: fourth day – my mind is speeding, starting a dry fast

Yesterday evening my mind was racing all over the place. My “disease” was still prevalent as I couldn’t really focus for any long periods of time and I didn’t feel compelled to do any writing or reading/studying (which was all I did on previous fasts once the cognitive overdrive kicked in), but my brain was full of thoughts and ideas. I had to meditate for 20 minutes to calm my mind before I could actually go to sleep. This was a good sign that I’ve entered really deep ketosis and my brain got “high” on ketones (the brain’s preferred fuel.)
Another proof of the deep state of ketosis, and that the detoxification process has really begun; was a barely noticeable smell from my armpits. My sweat never smells (as I never use deodorants or other toxins, and I only shower with soap when absolutely necessary – as soap destroys your natural oil production and messes with the pH of the skin).
I only use natural oils for my skin (if needed) and coconut oil mixed with a little baking soda as a natural deodorant when needed. Never use commercial deodorants, and if it contains aluminum – throw it as far away from you as you possible can.

I felt alert most of the day. Cognitive functions still improving. However, on a fast, how you feel can change from hour to hour due to release of toxins and the fact that your body begin to repair old injuries, start to rebuild your immune system, and all that good stuff (that can be quite taxing on the body.)

I also started my “real” dry fast today and had my last water at 3 pm – for a total of 2 liters (half a US gallon). Since I started the fast with an unwilling dry fast of 44 hours, the goal is to go without water for 48 hours or slightly more if I feel fine.

The detoxifying effect is a lot stronger when dry fasting compared to water fasting. So, by putting in a short dry fast during a water fast, I minimize the possible side-effects while accelerating the detoxifying and healing process. It’s like hitting the nitrogen-switch mid race to make it into first place.

I would never recommend jumping directly into a dry fast, just as you should never jump directly into a water fast. To make it as easy as possible, always make sure that you are already in ketosis when you begin your fast. And if you plan to do a longer fast (3 days or more), make sure that you are fat adapted. That is, that your body is used to, and capable of, efficiently burning fat and utilizing ketones for energy. If not, you will feel miserable while your body is adjusting – and that is simply unnecessary. Also, always add extra sodium and electrolytes in the beginning – or you will experience the common “keto flu” – as in lethargy, headaches, and fatigue. Something that are extremely easy to avoid by simply increasing electrolytes (especially sodium).

When I went to sleep, it still felt like any other night on a fast. My mind was still racing a little bit due to deep ketosis and that my body hasn’t really adjusted yet to the abundance of wonderful ketones. But I slept a bit better than the previous days.


Friday, April 20: fifth day – no water for you buddy

If you’re wondering about dry fast and its dangers, here’s a quick introduction/explanation of what it is and how it works.
As I mentioned earlier, you need to be in ketosis before entering into a dry fast. The reason for this is simple. Once ketosis is established, the breakdown of fat to provide fuel releases water as a byproduct. In metabolizing fat molecules, excess hydrogen atoms are released from the fat which combine in the blood with oxygen forming H2O. This so-called “metabolic water” can then help to substitute for the lack of drinking water. However, if you jump straight into a dry fast from a normal diet, you end up depleting your body’s water reserves during the period in which it takes to establish ketosis, which thereby curtails how long you can safely stay on a dry fast.
Even worse, if you’re still actively digesting carbohydrates when you cut the water and the dry fast begins, your “carbohydrate-based metabolism” will require water in order to operate, thereby further draining you of your water reserves.

This means that if you consume a typical diet with some carbohydrates and simply stop eating and drinking, you will feel miserable. And if your body never has been in ketosis before and is a long cry from fat adapted, it could get dangerous really quick. Probably within 2 or 3 days. Not to mention what could happen in a hot climate and/or if you sweat a lot. That is why the saying is that you can only last 2 to 3 days without water.

However, if you’re in ketosis and are somewhat fat adapted, a lot of water will be reintroduced into your system by your metabolism of converting fat into fuel. In this scenario, most people can go without water safely for 5 to 7 days. That’s a huge difference and a really potential way to repair and heal your body in the shortest time possible!
Since this is my first real dry fast ever, I’m shooting for 2 days, or 48 hours.

As for my own experiences today, I did wake up with a dry mouth – as most people do anyway in the morning. The dry feeling went away within 10 to 15 minutes and my production of saliva was normal during the rest of the day. I did get a little bit of frothy saliva a few times during the day, which is part of the detoxifying process. Just spit it out and you’re fine.
Peeing continued as clockwork throughout the day. About 200 ml every four to five hours – and pretty much transparent. Almost no coloring, and no noticeable odor.
In the evening I did start to notice some lower back pain. Not the kidneys, but the muscles and surrounding tissues – exactly where I had an injury from slipping during the racking sequence after a back squat back in the year 2000. This old injury has acted up once in a while since then, especially after inactivity due to sickness/lay-offs from training or simply working too much in front of a desk/computer.

I also felt somewhat physically stronger today and gladly moved about a bit and did some errands outdoors.


Part 3 is online here:


Thank you for reading!